Living and Learning Our Potential: A Favorable Environment for Growth
The Southern community identified the following strategic imperative related to this theme:
- We will manage and plan for excellence and growth.
Goal 1: Develop a model to effectively allocate university resources to align with
planned enrollment growth.
Pacing Growth Committee: Vinita Sauder, chair
- Evaluate admissions policies for student success
- Evaluate financial processes for student success
- Evaluate enrollment growth goals for campus optimization and student success
- Build model to align university infrastructure and resources with enrollment growth
Goal 2: Initiate a comprehensive capital campaign that reflects the strategic plan.
Campaign Committee Chair: To be appointed
- Match philanthropy to mission, vision, and future for student success
- Provide resources to realize Vision 20/20
- Build culture of philanthropy among board, students, faculty, staff, parents, and
Academic Program Development
Goal 3: Build on market research to identify program and delivery opportunities for
new programs of study. Evaluate current academic programs for marketplace demand.
New Programs Committee: Hollis James, chair
- Determine current academic programs with potential for sustained job growth
- Identify new academic majors that match university resources and relate to projected job growth
- Review current academic programs and recommend changes based on job market data
Culture of Diversity
Goal 4: Build a campus culture that values diversity.
Diversity Committee: Donn Leatherman, chair
- Foster respect and appreciation for the world’s variety of cultures and people
- Students will learn, work, play, and worship in diverse teams
- Continue the learning from DEEP (Diversity Educational Exchange Program) with Oakwood University
- Encourage study abroad through the Adventist Colleges Abroad program
Goal 5: Maintain sufficient financial resources to support the strategic master plan.
Strategic Planning and Budgeting Committee: Gordon Bietz, chair
- Allocate funding to support implementation of the strategic initiatives
- Create Strategic Plan Stewardship Subcommittee to monitor progress of initiatives
- Support capital campaign efforts with professional counsel and resources
Student Work Focus
Goal 6: Evaluate the current student work program and produce more work opportunities.
Student Work Committee: Tom Verrill, chair
- Increase student jobs on campus by 5% by 2017
- Increase percentage of students working
- Establish a Worthy Student Work Fund
- Increase participation in denominational internships
- Support SIFE temp agency for seniors
- Incentivize student-operated enterprises (create entrepreneurial incubator)