School ofMathematicsContinueContinue to the Mathematics Department's website
- Southern's Mathematics Department is highly ranked compared to other colleges and universities.
- Mathematics is a core subject area that develops analytical skills needed for a variety of professional avenues.
- Students consistently score, on average, above the 80th percentile on major field test each year.
- Students prepare for careers in mathematics and science by enhancing their critical thinking and problem solving skills and by gaining an appreciation for the role of mathematics in modern society.
- Students are well prepared to be successful in graduate study. Graduates currently have a 100 percent placement rate in secondary education positions.
Students in Action
- The Math Club (open to all majors) hosts student-led presentations as well as social activities like picnics, hikes, vespers programs, and community service work.
- Students studying mathematics can work as tutors or readers and also assist with research.
- Math majors are eligible for several merit-based scholarships.
Marks of Distinction
- For more than 20 years, the average department ranking has been in the 88th percentile, which means Southern’s math program outshines the majority of the more than 200 other college and university programs using the national ETS major field exam for mathematics majors.
- Every math major does an individual, semester-long research project.
- Graduates are finding jobs in secondary teaching, law, medicine, and multiple industries.
- Students pursuing graduate degrees are successful in advanced courses of study.
- Kevin Brown, PhDDepartment Chair, Professor
- Patricia Anderson, PhDProfessor
- Adam Heck, MSAssistant Professor
- Ronald D. Johnson, PhDProfessor
“ The professors are
so easy to connect with!
They always have the
greatest math jokes to
satisfy my inner nerd.
Careers in Math
Mathematics graduates enter a variety of occupations:
- Accountant, public practice
- Aerodynamics specialist
- Computer programmer
- Consumer credit/loan officer
- Education specialist
- Engineering analyst
- External auditor
- Financial investment analyst
- Market research analyst
- Mathematics editor
- Production manager
- Public health statistician
- Systems analyst
- Teacher, science/math
- Tool and die maker
Southern's math graduates have begun their careers or continued their studies in the following areas:
- Financial adviser
- Civilian employee for the U.S. Navy
- AT&T Bell Lab
- Space program in Huntsville, Alabama
- Actuarial tracks at Unum, Blue Cross Blue Shield, and Geico Insurance
- Medical school
- Law school
- Doctoral studies
Kevin Brown, chair
I am a part
You should be too! ”Sophmore