School ofPhysical Education, Health, and WellnessContinueContinue to the School of Physical Education, Health, and Wellness 's website
Why Physical Education, Health, and Wellness?
The School of Physical Education, Health, and Wellness prepares students for success in their careers and to be fit for eternity.
- Southern’s program offers opportunities for students who are serious about a career that promotes the total well-being of others.
- The physical education degree fosters enthusiasm, knowledge, and skills in many recreational activities, enabling students to become the best possible teachers.
- The health science degree is an appropriate track for premed, pre-dental, pre-physical therapy, or other pre-professional careers. Graduates are ready to pursue advanced or professional degrees as well as medical careers.
- Corporate/community wellness management majors are prepared for graduate school and provides opportunities for helping people create an active, balanced, healthy lifestyle.
- The bachelor’s degree in sports studies has components that are accredited by the International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education.
- Students can complete the vegetarian culinary arts certificate in one year.
- The new culinary arts kitchen is 3,000 square feet with space dedicated exclusively for labs and classes.
- Gym-Masters, an anti-drug acrobatics team, gives students that are gifted in gymnastics an opportunity to develop their skills and promote positive lifestyle choices. Gym-Masters practice in their own facility on campus.
Students in Action
- Gym-Masters travel and promote good health principles at many educational institutions, as well as perform halftime shows at NBA games.
- Special certifications can be earned in personal training, group aerobics, lifeguarding, water safety instruction, CPR, and first aid.
- Students may work as a reader, personal trainer, swimming instructor, lifeguard, game referee/umpire, climbing supervisor, facility monitor, or gymnastics instructor.
- ProAct classes focus on development of professional skills, including performance and teaching techniques for a single sport such as volleyball or basketball. These specialized classes are unique to Southern’s program, and are only open to physical education and sports studies majors and minors.
- Student clubs include: Cycling Club, Health Science Club, Kayak Club, P.E. and Sports Studies Club, Southern Striders, and Wellness Club.
Marks of Distinction
- The corporate/community wellness management degree is fully accredited by the National Wellness Institute. Southern’s program was the 10th to be accredited out of 300- plus universities with wellness degrees. Wellness graduates automatically earn the certified wellness practitioner designation.
- The pass rate for the Praxis I exam taken by physical education majors for teacher certification is 100 percent.
- The School of Physical Education, Health, and Wellness maintains relationships with many potential employers for graduates.
- The Wellness Institute helps individuals and families in the community pursue better health, balance, well-being, and joy.
- The Human Performance Lab employs students to help measure resting metabolic rate, aerobic capacity, anaerobic threshold, lactate threshold, and body composition using hydrostatic weighing, bioelectrical impedance, or skin fold method.
- Professors are regularly asked to lead out and speak locally , nationally, and internationally.
- Southern is the only Adventist school in North America to offer culinary arts and is one of only a few colleges or universities in the country providing training focused on preparation of vegetarian and vegan foods.
Statistics to Note
- 75-80 percent of animation graduates have been placed in jobs around the country.
- 70-75 percent of graphic design graduates have been placed in jobs in the graphic design profession.
- Robert BengeProfessor and Dean
- Harold MayerProfessor
- Judy SloanProfessor
- Mike BoydAssociate Professor
- Richard SchwarzAssociate Professor
- Rodney BusseyAssociate Professor
- Troy WalkerAssistant Professor
- Doug BrownAssociate Professor
- Mike HarrisAdventure Programming Director
- Crystal WhittenAssociate Professor
“ My professors practice
what they preach.
They live an active,
physically fit, and
holistic lifestyle ”Health science major
Classrooms and Labs
In addition to classrooms, the Hulsey Wellness Center features a fitness center, aerobics area, therapeutic pool, gymnastics center, indoor walking track, climbing wall, child care, smoothie bar, whirlpools, saunas, library, lab, and massage therapy rooms. The Iles Physical Education Center houses basketball, badminton, volleyball, racquetball courts, and an indoor lap pool. Students also have access to an outdoor track, tennis courts, disc golf course, ball fields, and an all-weather putting green.
- Available adventure courses include: backpacking, fly fishing, basic kayaking, mountain biking, scuba diving, snow skiing/boarding, and wall climbing.
- Students can participate in intramural sports including: basketball, flag football, floor hockey, futsal (indoor soccer), softball, and volleyball.
- Sporting events held throughout the year include: All Night Softball, Sunbelt/Cohutta Springs Triathlon, and Rees Basketball Series as well as badminton, racquetball, volleyball, and basketball tournaments.
- Activity specialist/coordinator
- Corporate wellness employee
- Health instructor
- Medical career professional
- Physical education teacher
- Recreation director
- Youth ministry specialist