School ofVisual Art and DesignContinueContinue to the School of Visual Art and Design's website
Why Visual Art and Design?
The School of Visual Art and Design trains developing artists to enter professional life with balanced artistic perspectives that are relevant to culture while being firmly grounded in faith.
- Students immerse themselves in the art foundations that will inform their chosen crafts.
- Rigorous programs provides professional experience in preparation for competitive and demanding industries as well as for graduate studies.
- Students are expected to be deadline-driven while maintaining the highest standard of quality in their work. They work on real-world projects, including the film short “Washed Away," filmed locally; the feature film "Old Fashioned," slated for theatrical release; and the animated film short "Rock in the Road."
- Southern has the strongest and largest animation, film production, and graphic design programs in the Seventh-day Adventist denomination.
Students in Action
- Internships in various art fields give students on-the-job experience and build portfolios.
- Students produce and direct their own short films and work with professors on professional projects like the science fiction short "Solus."
- Opportunities for gaining experience in design, photography, illustration, and film
are available on campus in these and many other venues: Southern Accent (weekly student newspaper);
Southern Memories (university yearbook);
Strawberry Festival (the year-end multimedia production); and the Marketing and University Relations office.
- Art Club is a venue for leadership training, social activities, and community engagement through the arts.
- Active local art culture in Chattanooga provides enrichment through fieldtrips to artist studios and networking through various organizations including the Association of Visual Artists, AIGA – the professional association for design, and more.
- Student projects (as well as short video episodes showcasing life as an art student) are showcased online.
Marks of Distinction
- One feature film project, "Secret of the Cave," has been a Heartland Film Festival "Crystal Heart" winner. A second feature film is in development.
- The feature film "Old Fashioned" was edited on site by a film production student.
- A former Disney art animator/director, who helped develop the animation program, is also a professor in the program.
- SVAD Productions, owned by Southern, hires students to work on design and film projects to gain professional experience.
- Student work is shown and has won awards at various festivals: SONscreen Film Festival, Chattanooga ADDY Awards, Broad Street Film Festival, and Siggraph Computer Animation Festival. The award-winning film "In the Grey" was a senior student project, and a student's work was nominated for the Student Academy Awards.
Statistics to Note
In the last three years:
- 75-80 percent of animation graduates have been placed in jobs around the country.
- 70-75 percent of graphic design graduates have been placed in jobs in the graphic design profession.
- Randy CravenDean and Associate Professor
- Hendel ButoyProfessor
- Marc BoysonAssistant Professor
- David GeorgeAssociate Professor
- Zachary GrayAssociate Professor
- Ed GutheroAssociate Professor
- Giselle HaselAssistant Professor
- Joe La ComInstructor
- Nick LivanosInstructor
- Jesse RademacherAssistant Professor
“ I’ve had some amazing professors who were more concerned with students getting the concept right than getting the project done by the deadline. That is great teaching! ”Graphic Design Major
Classrooms and Labs
With the largest and most up-to-date facilities and technologies in the denomination, the School of Visual Art and Design is equipped with state-of-the-art animation, graphic design, film, and fine art studios. The renovated John C. Williams Gallery of Art regularly exhibits the word of professional artists and students.
- Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Fireworks, Flash, and more)
- Autodesk Maya
- Final Cut Pro
- DVD Studio Pro
- Pro Tools
Hardware and Equipment
- Mac Pro workstations with 8-core Xeon processors and 16GB RAM
- PC workstations with 8-core Intel processors
- HP z620 12-core workstations with 16 GB RAM
- Video editing stations with high definition monitors using Final Cut Pro X and Adobe Premiere
- Sound booth
- Sound recording equipment including a 5.1 surround sound mixing board
- Soundstage including cyclorama wall
- Film equipment including a RED camera, DSLR cameras, and film cameras
- Extensive lighting and grip equipment, including multiple dollies and a Tulip Crane.
- Computer numerical control router for product design and woodcut printing
- Fully-equipped wood shop
- Ceramics equipment, including pottery wheels and gas-fired kilns
Careers in Art
Job opportunities for graduates include:
- Art agent/instructor
- Art librarian
- Arts administrator
- Audiovisual specialist
- Artist assistant
- Commercial director
- Children’s book illustrator
- Exhibit designer
- Fine artist
- Freelance artist
- Game asset designer
- Graphic designer
- Interactive designer
- Film/TV producer
- Film/TV editor
- Lighting technician
- Motion graphics designer
- Museum and gallery personnel
- Printing craftsman
- Production artist/coordinator/manager
- Proprietor, art supply/service bureau
- Production quality assurance
- Publication designer
- Stylist/make-up artist
- Sound designer
- Visual effects artist
- Visual merchandiser
Recent film graduates are employed in the following positions:
- Producer and technical media manager at One Degree Organics
- Editor for The Worship Network
- Video producer for the Georgia-Cumberland Conference
- Producer at NBC/Skycastle
- Staff filmmaker for Florida Hospital
- Camera man for Journey Films, production company behind feature films “Bonhoeffer” and “The Adventists”
- Production crew on feature films “Yes Man,” “The Soloist,” and “Iron Man 2”
Recent animation graduates are employed in the following positions:
- Animators for Rhythm & Hues and Airtight Games
- Art director for Life Talk Radio
- Character technical director for Pendulum Studios, Dream Works, and Walt Disney Feature Animation
- Effects technical director for Walt Disney Animation Studios and Nickelodeon
- Motion designer for Three Angels Broadcasting Network (3ABN)
- Digital illustrator
Recent graphic design graduates are employed in the following locations:
- Chattanooga Area Chamber of Commerce
- Chattanooga agencies Neathawk Dubuque and Packett, Fillauer Inc., TruBlue, Maycreate Idea Group, Pale Dot Voyage Studio, and the Johnson Group
- Life Care Centers of America in Cleveland, Tennessee
- Brass Bros. Design in Knoxville, Tennessee
- n + a Advertising in Atlanta, Georgia
- Review and Herald Publishing in Hagerstown, Maryland
- George P. Johnson Advertising, Boston, Massachusetts
- Three Angels Broadcasting Network (3ABN) in West Frankfort, Illinois
- Adventist Health Systems, Altamonte Springs, FL
- Graphic design departments at New York and Bon Appetit magazines
- Guild House Group and Color Press in Walla Walla, Washington
- Microsoft, Redmond, Washington
- Hart Research in Fallbrook, California
- in8 iD in Los Angeles, California
Recent fine arts graduates are active professionally in the following areas:
- Art assistant in New York City
- Art professor
- Gallery shows in Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, and Philadelphia
- Art restorer
- Art teacher at Heritage Academy
- Arts ministries
Linda Brooks, office manager
I am a part
You should be too! ”Sophmore