A Parent's Guide to Southern
We're glad your student is attending Southern. You can view information helpful to you as a parent by viewing the topics below. You can also download our Parent's Guide booklet that covers a wide range of topics.
If you have trouble logging into the Parent Portal, visit our portal help page.
Student Employment »
In recent years, more than half of the students have worked on campus. Most students find it manageable to work 8 to 12 hours per week. Student schedules and skills are the most significant variables in finding a job.
- FINDING A JOB—On-campus and off-campus jobs are listed at southern.edu/studentjobs
Students are paid every other Friday. By default, 25 percent of earnings is direct-deposited to the student’s personal bank account and 75 percent is applied to the Southern account.
Before starting work, students will need to turn in the following forms to Human Resources:
- Form I-9—Employment Eligibility Verification
- W-4 Employee Withholding Allowance
- Direct Payroll Deposit
Students employed under the Federal Work-Study Program get 100 percent of their earnings direct-deposited to their personal bank account.
Jennifer Enevoldson Student Employment Coordinator
Campus Safety »
Campus Safety is on duty 24/7 to ensure a safe environment for students, faculty, and visitors. We also provide services such as:
- Vehicle assistance—jumpstarts, air in tires, and out-of-gas assistance
- Lost & Found
- On-campus safety escorts after dark
- Severe-weather monitoring
Text message alerts are sent to students in case of an emergency on campus.
Vehicles parked on campus need to display a parking permit.
Shawn Haas Office Manager
Staying Informed »
We invite parents to stay informed about campus life—the daily schedule, special events, and all the how-tos of student life at Southern.
Panorama is a newsletter designed especially for parents to provide a current glimpse of campus life. It is automatically mailed to parents at home. You can also sign up for our electronic version of Panorama
- The Parent Booklet provides an easy-to-read comprehensive overview of how things work at Southern.
- View the Event Calendar for activities and important deadlines.
- View the Final Exam Schedule.
- Access Grades
Read more about information rights and privacy at FERPA »
- View Student Blogs
- View Student Handbook
Campus life at Southern is more lively, rich, and fun for students because of the tireless energy and love of Kari Shultz. She is the director of student life and activities.
Kari Shultz Director of Student Life and Activities
University Health Center »
We provide compassionate and confidential care to all students regardless of which insurance they carry. Our services include:
- Acute care (active, short-term treatment for a severe injury or episode of illness)
- Treatment of minor injuries and illnesses
- Immunizations and allergy shots
- Lab tests
- Limited screening and care is available for emotional health issues
The UHC is staffed by a nurse practitioner and registered nurses during regular office hours and is supervised by a physician (available by appointment).
Resources are provided for students needing helpafter hours.
- For emergencies, call 9-1-1.
- For non-emergency questions, students may call Collegiate Assistance at 877.643.5130. This service is available 24/7.
- Check the Student Self-Care Guide »
Charges for Services
Fees for medical services are charged to the student’s Southern account. The UHC submits claims for those enrolled in Southern’s student insurance and reimbursements are posted to the student account when received. Walk-out statements are provided for students with non-university insurance.
Mary King Registered Nurse
Student Medical Insurance »
Students have to have medical insurance. Southern partners with UnitedHealthcare to provide coverage at approximately $1079 for the full-year. Students with insurance by another carrier may opt out. You can view insurance rates here.
Medical services provided by the University Health Center are covered at 100% for students insured through UnitedHealthcare. Charges are applied to the student’s Southern account at the time of service, and reimbursement is applied when received from UnitedHealthcare.
An insurance application/waiver is due each school year.
Marggie Pittman Student Benefits Coordinator
Chaplain’s Office »
The Chaplain’s Office is devoted to helping students grow in knowing the Lord. Life at Southern is rich with opportunities for corporate worship, small-groupmeetings, local outreach, and mission service abroad. Empowering students to start their own ministry
Large and small worship meetings and special events take place on campus every day, including residence hall worship, Friday night vespers and Afterglow, student weeks of prayer, lawn concerts, and multiple church services each Sabbath.
Adventist churches in the area provide abundant worship-service options »
Now, more than 800 students participate in weekly small-group meetings for Bible study, prayer, and community. Learn more »
Students at Southern are empowered to start ministries of their own or join the many time-tested activities already in place: Westside 4 Jesus, Hospital Ministry, Flag Camp, Restore, Patten Towers, Prison Ministry, and more. Learn more about Ministries »
Southern’s student-missionary tradition continues. Long- and short-term mission trips provide experiences for personal growth and service abroad. View Parent FAQs on the Student Missions page »
Brennon Kirstein Chaplain
Student Success Center »
We are here to ensure that every student has the support they need to be successful at Southern.
- Learning Support provides tutoring and other academic assistance.
- Disability Support helps students with disabilities and learning differences.
- Counseling Services provides professional, confidential counseling.
- Testing Services manages testing and assessment programs for students.
We take extra steps to ensure that new students have everything they need to make a successful transition to university life. The First-Year Experience office provides student orientation, helps students choose classes, and matches each freshman with a student mentor to help guide them along the way.
Jim Wampler Director
Plan a Visit »
We welcome you and your prospective student to come see Southern for yourselves. The following links will help you plan a visit to our campus.
- View Campus Map's for visitors.
- Confirm directions to campus via Interstate Highway 75.
- Book Lodging on campus or at nearby hotels.
- Schedule a Visit to campus with our Admissions team's Campus Experience Coordinator.